The Palatinate museum Heidelberg offers insights of regional history.
With its large collection of paintings, graphics and sculptures (15th – 20th century), handcraft, archeology, town history and Electoral Palatinate the Heidelberg Palatinate museum offers an unique image of the ancient Electoral Palatinate and its capital Heidelberg. The origin of the museum is based on the initiative of the french imigrant Charles de Graimberg, who startet to dedicate towards the history of the Heidelberger castle and the palatine royal house since 1810. Graimberg's constantly growing collection contained very soon paintings, graphic sheets, certificates, coins and medals, weapons, porcelain from the manufactory in Frankenthal and skulptures as well as prefabricated parts. Even the famous "Zwölfbotenaltar " of Tilman Riemenschneider has been acquired by Graimberg.
In 1879 the city Heidelberg bought the the Graimberg collection and brought it from the castle to the Hauptstraße. In 1908 the museum was openend in the palace (built in 1712) of Philipp Morass, professor of the law faculty, as the "civic art and antiquities collection"
There had been serious enlargements at the territorial and historical subject during the second part of the 19th century due to the fact of many archaeological discoveries, primarily the remaining parts of the roman Neckar bridge in 1877.
Archaeological digs in Heidelberg and environs, especially after the 2nd world war, led to a significant growth of the stock. Noble donations of Heidelberger citizens for example like the collection Posselt expanded the stock of collections.
The artworks of the Heidelberger romantic are another main subject of the exhibition since the beginning of the 20th century. In 2002 the museum managed to purchase the "silverware of elector Elisabeth Augusta“, the only complete preserved silverware of the electorial palatine property of the 18th century. This acquirement is one of the most outstanding of the last decades and is part of the permanent exhibition.
Since the reopening of the buildung in 1991 the Heidelberger art society is housed in the left wing. The old and the new museum were connected and the museum represents itself in an modern way. The visitors have got the possibility of a round tour, starting in the prehistory and in the dark ages to the painting gallery of the 19th and 20th centuries...